17 Jul 2014 KC FIRST Job Announcement – FLL Partner and Regional Director Positions
US FIRST Robotics – Greater Kansas City Region
Posting Date: 7/7/14
The Kansas City STEM Alliance is seeking qualified individuals to support the implementation the FIRST regional robotics initiative in the Greater Kansas City area. FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is a national program that partners locally with companies and schools to create challenging after school activities.
FIRST LEGO League (FLL) Partner for the Kansas City Region:
• The design and delivery of the Greater Kansas City FLL tournament system consisting of Qualifying Tournaments and a Championship Tournament. This includes arranging tournament registration for teams and overseeing qualifier site assignments.
• Participate in conference calls and training from US FIRST regarding FLL program guidelines, updates and contest rules so as to coordinate regional activity to national requirements.
• Coordinate a Coach’s Training workshop as well as Team Workshops, programming/building workshops, and camp experiences as applicable.
• Recruit and manage a Planning Committee made up of key volunteers who provide support, communication, training, mentorship, and coordination in support of FLL program delivery in Greater Kansas City.
• Support community events (i.e. scrimmages, outreach, FLL off-season outreach – Maker Faire, FRC regional)
• Work with the KC STEM Alliance Staff to identify a budget for the FLL program
• Adhere to and promote the Youth Protection Program requirements for official event volunteers.
• Help develop the Jr. FIRST Lego League initiative in Kansas City.
FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Program Director for the Kansas City Region:
• Act as primary representative for FIRST in the region and as liaison between the three FIRST programs and the KC STEM Alliance and its partners.
• Provide support to the region in implementing a regional strategic plan to provide for the long term direction, support, and expansion of the FIRST programs in Kansas City including managing and participation in the FIRST Regional Executive Advisory Board.
• Participate as an active member of the Planning Committees for FRC, FTC, and FLL in the Kansas City area.
• Support community events, volunteer and team recruitment (i.e. off season competitions, STEM outreach events such as Maker Faire, Open field event)
• Responsibility for the FIRST Robotics Competition Regional Tournament and Kick Off event.
• Participate in conference calls and training from US FIRST regarding FRC program guidelines, updates and contest rules so as to coordinate Regional activity to national requirements.
• Work with the KC STEM Alliance Staff to identify a budget and fund raising needs for the FRC program
• Delivery of FRC Coach Meeting or Training workshop.
• Assist with FRC and FTC Rookie Team Workshops, Quick Build workshop, Advanced Programming/Building Workshops, Camp Experiences when undertaken in the area.
• Recruit and manage a Regional Planning Committee made up of key volunteers who provide support, communication, training, mentorship, and coordination in support of FRC program delivery in Greater Kansas City.
• Adhere to the Youth Protection Program requirements for official FRC event volunteers
Minimum Qualifications for both positions:
• Strong Project and Program Management skills
• Event management experience
• Excellent Communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Highly Organized, ability to multi task
• Proven Leadership abilities
• The capacity to work well with and motivate volunteers from a diverse range of backgrounds
• Financial and budget management skills
• Strong personnel management and interpersonal skills
• A willingness and ability to travel especially an ability to get around Kansas City
• Commitment to STEM outreach and children’s educational development.
• Must have own transportation.
Experience and knowledge of FIRST programs is preferred.
These are contract/non-benefits positions managed by the KC STEM Alliance, an independent, operating program within the University of Missouri School of Computing and Engineering. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Contract hours will vary during the year but will include approximately 3 months at 40 hours a week, 3 months at 30 hours per week, and the remainder of the year (the “off-season”) at approximately 10 hours per week. Evenings and weekend events are common during the events season.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, references, etc. into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as your resume attachment to email@example.com. You may address your cover letter to: Laura Loyacono, Director, KC STEM Alliance. These positions will be opened until filled.
For more information about the Robotics based competitions including FIRST Robotics Competition, FIRST Lego League and FIRST Tech Challenge go to http://www.usfirst.orgThe KC STEM Alliance is an organization working to prepare area students for college and careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) KC STEM Alliance serves as the regional coordinator for the FIRST program in Kansas City. For more information, visit kcstem.org.